1970-1973 Harriton High School, Rosemont, Pennsylvania
- Editor-in-Chief of Harriton Forum (campus newspaper), President of Philadelphia Model United Nations, Lead in High School Plays (The Fantastiks, Annie Get Your Gun, Fumed Oak), Captain of Debate Team, President of Anthropology and Archeology Club, Member of National Honor Society, Harriton Poetry Award, DAR Citizenship and History Award, Tri-State American History Achievement Award, Voted “Most Artistic” by High School Class of ’73.
- Internship with WCAU-TV Channel 10, Philadelphia
1973 -1977 Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut
Bachelor of Arts with Distinction in Theater Studies, Magna Cum Laude
- Yale Dramat, WYBC-FM, Yale Daily News, Yale Hillel Sunday School Teacher (undergrad)
- As Yale alumna: Guest lecturer at Yale sponsored by Rumpus Magazine, the Chai Society and Saybrook Master’s Teas, and consultant to Eric Rubenstein, founder of award-winning, biannual campus-wide event “Sex Week at Yale” in 2002. Speaker at Sex Week at Yale ’04, ’06, ’08 and’10.
- Produced Yale projects, events and shows at Dr. Suzy’s Speakeasy in LA, including the Yale Annex at the Speakeasy (2004), Whim ‘n’ Rhythm (2006) and Zorthian at Yale (2005)
1984 -1987 Pacific Western University, Los Angeles, California
Master of Arts in Philosophy with a Degree in Psychology
- Master’s thesis on why and how men and women use personal ads to find relationships which became Advertising for Love, published by William Morrow, forecasting the modern explosion of personal advertising and the current pop culture of Internet dating sites and online social networks.
1987 -1991 Pacific Western University, Los Angeles, California
Doctorate of Philosophy with a Degree in Psychology
- Doctoral thesis on Toni Wolfe’s “Four Aspects of Womanhood” published by Random House as Being a Woman with Dr. Toni Grant, and became a New York Times and LA Times Best-Seller
2012 Institute for the Advanced Study of Human Sexuality, San Francisco, California
- Doctorate of Arts, Honoris Causa
1974-Present Studies at Other Schools, Programs and Universities
- 1974 Yale Summer Abroad in Afghanistan, Pakistan, India and Nepal
- 1975 Summer at Naropa Institute, Boulder, Colorado
- 1980-81 University of California at Berkeley Masters Program in Journalism
- 1981-83 San Francisco State University Masters Program in English
- 1983-84 More University Masters Program in Human Sexuality
- 1994-Present Block Institute
1991-Present– Founder and Director of the Dr. Susan Block Institute for the Erotic Arts & Sciences. The foundation of the Institute’s sex therapy system is based on the principles of Dr. Block’s world-renowned philosophy of the Bonobo Way of “peace through pleasure.” The Institute treats most so-called “sexual dysfunctions” i.e.: sexual arousal disorders, low sexual desire, erectile dysfunction, unwanted sexual fetishes, disturbing erotic fantasies, lack of sexual confidence, communication issues, dating anxiety and sexual obsession. The Institute also treats destructive sexual habits (sometimes called “sex addictions”), premature ejaculation, difficulties achieving orgasm and other orgasm disorders, including painful sex and sexual problems caused by stress, fatigue, aging changes and other environmental, family and relationship factors. In addition, the Institute treats adults suffering from the lingering effects of sexual assault, incest, childhood trauma and religious sexual abuse. We also help individuals and couples, claiming no dysfunction, to lead more stimulating, creative and rewarding sexual lives. This system utilizes, in-depth, Kinsey-style client interviews and analysis, erotic theater therapy, fantasy role-play, Masters & Johnson techniques, G-spot, P-spot and PC muscle exercises, fetish exploration systems, sexual confidence building, the “sperm wars” view of monogamy, sensate focus touching, intercourse and outercourse, compassionate S/M and bondage play, bonobo therapy, issue-focused phone sex therapy, transgender facilitation, erotic hypnosis and many other “pleasure sex” techniques that the Institute has successfully used to help thousands of men, women, couples and communities around the world to enhance and enjoy their sexuality in a multitude of traditional and innovative ways. This not only improves their sex lives, but has a positive and rejuvenating effect upon other aspects of everyday life including but not limited to, general health, work, creativity, self-esteem, family and social relationships.
- 1991-Present– Director of operations in therapeutic services, research, development, education, art, entertainment, and media.
- 1994-1995 – Developed The Bonobo Way of Peace through Pleasure as described in The 10 Commandments of Pleasure
- 1996-Present – Established and maintains the Bonoboville community with co-director Maximillian Lobkowicz (husband since 1992), also called Villa Piacere and Dr. Suzy’s Speakeasy, first in the Hollywood Hills, then in Downtown Los Angeles and now located in an 8000-square-foot renovated 1950s motel in West Los Angeles. “Bonoboville” is a pro-sex, socialist community of ecosexual artists, technologists, and therapists living, working and playing together in a cooperative community, inspired by The Bonobo Way.
- 1988-Present– Private practice sex therapist with over 6000 international clients, from Los Angeles to Saudi Arabia.
- 1985-1991 – Developed and operated the world’s first telephone dating services
- 1985-1991 – Founder and President of Block Party Enterprises
1991-Present Producer/Host of The Dr. Susan Block Show on TV, radio and internet, broadcasting live every Saturday night 10:30pm-Midnight PST. The show consists of monologues on various subjects connected to human sexuality, calls from people seeking help with various sex and relationship issues, and interviews with such renowned personalities as Bettie Page, Gloria Allred, Xaviera Hollander, Nina Hartley, Rabbi Shmuley Boteach, Betty Dodson, Nancy Friday, Joanna Angel, Timothy Leary, Dita Von Teese, Christopher Ryan, Janet Hardy, Sabine Lichtenfels, Abby Martin, Ron Jeremy, “Fat Mike”of NoFX, Bonnie Rotten, and Axel Braun.
- 2015-2016 Malcolm Jones & the Women of the Bonobo Way Female Empowerment Outreach Project.
- The Dr. Susan Block Institute presents “Sex Calls” from the archives of The Dr. Susan Block Show.
- 2015 Featured guest interviews on Playboy Radio, Tangentally Speaking, Love, Lust & Laughter, LA Talk Radio and others.
- 2014- Present – Founder of Bonoboville.com: Social Media Grown Up.
- 2005-2015 Block Films’ Zorthian: Art & Times featured at Zorthian & Yale Tribute and Zorthian Ranch Primavera.
- 2005-2010 Block Films’ Squirt Salon and Blonde Island: Funk Me featured in Barcelona Erotica Film Festival, Cinekink NYC Film Festival and LA Erotica Film Festival
- 1998-Present Guest Sexpert on various shows on KGO-810 AM in San Francisco.
- 1997-1999 Host of The Dr. Susan Block Show on KMAX-840 AM in Los Angeles
- 1996-Present Star of Radio Sex TV with Dr. Susan Block on HBO and HBO specials, as well as Real Sex segments and upcoming appearances on HBO’s Cathouse series.
- 1995-1997 Co-host of The Nasty Man Show on KLOS-95.5 FM in Los Angeles
- 1995-1997 Host of The Dr. Susan Block Show on NPR Satellite Radio
- 1991-1995 Host of The Dr. Susan Block Show on the Independent Broadcasters Network (IBN), syndicated on over 100 stations nationwide.
- 1990-1991 Host of The Susan Block Show on KFOX-93.5 FM in Redondo Beach/LA.
- 1990: Created RADIOPHONE, transmitting radio shows via telephone, thereby making it available to anyone in the world with a phone—very handy in pre-Internet times.
- 1988-1990 Host of Match Nite on KFOX-93.5 FM in Redondo Beach/LA.
- 1987-1988 Host of Date Nite on KIEV-870 AM in Glendale/LA.
- 1984-1986 Host of Radio Match on KIEV-870 AM, sponsored by The LA Weekly.
- Frequently featured guest on multiple radio and TV shows, on all the major networks, from Oprah to Today, Nightline to Inside Edition; and featured expert on many documentaries from Hollywood Women and Hollywood Sex on the BBC to Bettie Page on E! Entertainment, and Infidelity on the new Oprah Winfrey Network. In addition, the Dr. Susan Block Institute and Dr. Suzy’s Speakeasy have been featured on many documentaries and TV shows around the world, including an upcoming feature film by award-winning filmmaker Canaan Brumley entitled Speakeasy.
- Contributor (Foreword) to Ecosexuality: When Nature Inspires the Arts of Love, (CreateSpace, 2015).
- Contributor to The International Encyclopedia of Human Sexuality (Wiley-Blackwell, 2015) Wrote entries on “Sexual Fetish,” “Cuckold,” “Striptease,” “Phone Sex” and “Spanking.”
- Author of The Bonobo Way: The Evolution of Peace through Pleasure (Gardner & Daughters Publishers, 2014).
- Contributor to Female Sexual Function & Dysfunction (Wiley, 2010) edited by Dr. Lauren Rubel
- Best-selling author of The 10 Commandments of Pleasure (St. Martin’s Press, 1996), a Literary Guild Selection, Doubleday Book Club and Doubleday Health Book Club Selection, now in third English edition and in 11 other languages.
- Co-Author of Being a Woman (Random House, 1988), a Los Angeles Times and New York Times Best-Seller, with Dr. Toni Grant.
- Author of Advertising for Love (William Morrow, 1984)
- Selected Articles published in Counterpunch, Bloggamy and other publications
- Transparent Evening at the Director’s Guild of America (May 2016).
- The Bonobo Way of Female Power, Domination Directory International (TBA)
- Proud to be Gay, the Bonobo Way (June, 2015)
- Squirting World: Secrets, Stories & Techniques of G-Spot Female Ejaculation, (May, 2015)
- Sperm Wars: Threesomes, Cuckolds, Hot Wives & Evolutionary Biology, (March, 2015)
- The Bonobo Spring Revolution, (March, 2015)
- 50 Shades of Holy Crap, (February, 2015)
- Go Bonobos in the New Year: Make 2015 the Year of the Bonobo, (January, 2015)
- Anal Food Rape in the CIA, (December, 2014)
- Bill Cosby’s Sleep Fetish, (November, 2014)
- ‘Dawn of the Planet of the Apes’ Defames Bonobos, (July, 2014)
- Hunger Games, Killing Fields: The Terrible Truth about Elliot Rodger, (May, 2014)
- The 6 Most Common Secret Sexual Fantasies—And What They Mean, (October, 2013)
- Kegel Karate: How One Woman Learned to Destroy Her Molester with the Power of Her Own Pleasure, (August, 2013)
- Galloping Petraeus, (November, 2012)
- Capt’n Max’s Big C Battle, (March, 2012)
- Spankology 101: The Psychology, Physiology, Art, History, Politics & Eroticism of Spanking, (July, 2011)
- Lupercalia: The Original Valentine’s Day, (February, 2011)
- My Porn Star Girlfriend, (November, 2010)
- The Alchemy of Scary Sex, (October, 2010)
- Secret Sexual Fantasies, (February, 2010)
- In Defense of the G-Spot: Yes, Virginia, It Does Exist!, (January, 2010)
- Inside Both Heads of the Crotch Bomber, (January, 2010)
- Tiger’s Wood: Love Cablinasian Style, (December, 2009)
- Sex, Death & Michael Jackson, (June, 2009)
- “Sinful” Sex Addiction: The Newest Way to Demonize Sexuality, (April, 2009)
- Washington Witch Hanging, (May, 2008)
- Merry Masturbation Month, (May, 2008)
- Bonobo Bashing in the New Yorker, (July, 2007)
- Dr. Laura’s Little Monster, (May, 2007)
- Hookergate II, (May, 2007)
- Valentine Chemistry of Love, (February, 2007)
- The Spent Milk of Human Foley, (September, 2006)
- Queen Esther & the Art of Seduction, (March, 2006)
- Hookergate, (June, 2005)
- America Wants a Divorce (December, 2005)
- Weimar Love Story (November, 2005)
- Katrina Speaks (September, 2005)
- My Adelphia Story (January, 2005)
- The Counter-Inaugural Ball: Eros Day 2005 (January 2005)
- Faith-Based Sex (December, 2004)
- Blue Values (November, 2004)
- America in tha Hood (May, 2004)
- Bush’s POW Porn (May, 2004)
- Rape of Iraq (April, 2003)
- Cockfight at the Baghdad Corral (September, 2002)
- The Great Pretzel Swallower’s Guantanamo S&M PR Disaster (January, 2002)
- Patriot Act UnPatriotic (November, 2001)
- We Are All Afghans Now (October, 2001)
- Sex, Terror, Jerry Bin Foulwell & the Raving Castrati (October, 2001)
- Beyond Terror (September, 2001)
- Chemistry of Love and Lust (February, 2001)
- Freelance journalist for LA Magazine, LA Weekly, SF Bay Guardian, New Haven Advocate, Metro, Boulevards, and other publications.
Special Positions and Memberships
- Director of the Block Bonobo Foundation dedicated to educating the public about bonobo sexuality as well as helping to save them from extinction, and Bonoboville, an online community of people inspired by the Bonobo Way of Peace through Pleasure
- Professional member of the American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors and Therapists(AASECT)
- Professional member of the American Academy of Television Arts & Sciences, Documentary Film Division.
- Professional member of the Los Angeles Press Club
- Professional member of the Radio Television News Association of Southern California
- Expert Witness and Consultant to LA Public Defender’s Office and LA Alternate Public Defender, Sex Crimes Division, working on various criminal cases requiring expertise in transgendered culture, BDSM practices and fetishes.
- Awarded “America’s Greatest Thinker” by Great American Think-Off
- 48th Annual Conference of the American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors & Therapists: “The Bonobo Way: An Alternative Great Ape Paradigm for Human Sexuality” at Condado Plaza in San Juan, Puerto Rico.
- DomCon Los Angeles: “The Bonobo Way: A New FemDom Paradigm for Humanity” at LAX Airport Hilton, in Los Angeles, California. 2016.
- 5th International Conference on the Future of Monogamy and Nonmonogamy: “The Bonobo Way: Consensual Nonmonogamy Among Non-Human Primates” at University of Berkeley in Berkeley California.
- First Symposium on Ecosexuality in the Caribbean: The “Bonobo Way” Keynote at University Puerto Rico Mayagüez. 2016.
- Lecturer at Yale University, Cal Tech, USC, UCLA and SFSU on Human Sexuality, Female Sexual Function and Dysfunction, Male Sexual Function and Dysfunction, Sexual Fetish, Sexual Fantasy, Female Ejaculation and the G-Spot, The Bonobo Way, Sex and God, Sex and Religion, Sex Toys, Masturbation, Sex and University Life, The 10 Commandments of Pleasure, The Chemistry of Love and Lust, Sperm Wars and Monogamy, Exhibitionism and Voyeurism. 2016.
- 2012 Lecture, The Bonobo Way: An Alternative Great Ape Paradigm for Human Sexual Behavior, Society for the Scientific Study of Sexuality (SSSS), 2012
- Lecturer for various groups and organizations from The Lifestyles Organization (TLO) to The Young Presidents Organization (YPO), Center for Inquiry, MENSA and Taste of LA. Ongoing.
Sheila Nevins, HBO, Senior VP Documentary Programming, NY, NY
Mary Miller, PhD, Dean of Yale College, Sterling Professor, Yale University, New Haven, CT.
John Klutke, MD, Professor of Gynecology, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA.
Robert Israel, MD, Director, Women’s Health Clinics, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA.
Patti Britton, PhD, Sexuality Professor, Trainor & Clinical Sexologist, Los Angeles, CA.
Scott Barry Kaufman, PhD, Psychology Professor, University of Pennsylvania, Phila., PA.
Steven Binman, PhD, Forensic Clinical Psychologist, Los Angeles, CA.
Barry Fisher, JD, Civil Rights Attorney, Century City, CA.
Dorion Sagan, American Science Writer & Essayist, Madison, WI
Christopher Ryan, PhD, Author, Podcast host, Barcelona, Spain